The Winter Festival of Lights is a thrilling thematic journey of Niagara experienced through music and spectacular 3D mapping projections. Through impressive state-of-the-art digital technology, the show depicts Niagara’s arts, culture and entertainment! The city-facing side of the Oaks Hotel serves as the canvas for the Festival’s newest lighting technology.
Nominating Company: Westbury National Show Systems; Toronto, Ontario
Venue: Winter Festival of Lights – Oaks Hotel, Niagara Falls Ontario; Niagara Falls, Ontario
Project: Oaks Hotel 3D projection mapping experience
Category: Arts, Entertainment & Recreation
This was a permanent installation of equipment that resulted in a value-added full visual and audio experience for guests visiting the Winter Festival of Lights. The show must be automated (technician free) to operate seven days a week, with three shows per night. The goal was to be able to cover as much of the hotel as possible in projection while still maintaining the tight budget allowance.
* dealing with great distances and finding the absolute best position for the projectors to get the maximum coverage on the hotel
* weatherizing the projectors in the harsh winter climates
* engineering a custom mount for the projectors
* engineering a solution that could be supported within the structure of the projector location
* creating a temporary solution due to the manufacturer of the weatherized housing missing the ship date and maintaining the “show must go on” approach
* very tight deadlines from award of contract to opening day (10 weeks)
Solutions for the above issues included…
* on-site review with Westbury National’s engineer to determine best possible solution. The position allowed for eight projectors to cover the majority of the front face of the Oaks Hotel.
* utilizing a reputable manufacturer of weatherized, industry-proven enclosures to protect the projectors.
* creating a lightweight, completely durable custom projector mount for the eight projectors used
* The projectors, housing and projector mount design were light enough for the structural engineers to sign off as being completely safe/compliant to all Ontario building codes
* redesigning the system so that it could operate within the hotel rooms until the outdoor housing arrived. Once housings were onsite, a four-day window was allowed to turn the temporary system into a permanent one
* all deadlines were maintained
The resulting visual experience was viewed and enjoyed by thousands during the two-month-plus festival.
Westbury National Show Systems won the DSE 2016 Gold Apex Award in the Arts, Entertainment & Recreation category.