What are the criteria for picking a CMS amongst the myriad of options out there?
Choosing a CMS is one of the most difficult choices when evaluating technology. There are so many factors to consider, and in many cases, an RFP (Request for Proposal) can help provide a comparison across the solutions. Questions you may wish to ask include:
- How many sites, end-points, players will be managed?
- Has the CMS been used at that scale before?
- What other companies of your size or install base have they worked with?
- Can you check references?
- Can you host the solution internally, or will it be cloud-based?
- If you have partners for installation, integration and support, what have they worked with? What do they support?
- Will you own network operations internally? If not, what services are available beyond just the software?
- What software functionality is available beyond your immediate set of needs and use cases?
- Can you grow with the solution over time?
There are other things to discuss as well … player hardware & OS, ability to automate and display information from other sources. The list of questions can get very long, very quickly!