If you could magically ask the digital signage industry for anything at all, some new innovation that would dazzle and amaze your clients and peers, what would it be?”
While outdoor displays have evolved with enormous, bright, curved and physically moving screens, I’m still having trouble finding interactive outdoor screens.
Here are some wishes for screen manufacturers:
- Precise touchscreen supporting at least five simultaneous touches
- Commercial grade reliability that will operate with 24x7x365 for five years
- Anti-glare glass to see content even when the sun is behind you
- Heat resistant electronics that will not burn out after a hot summer
- Built-in sensor to adjust nits for afternoon brightness and not blind viewers at night
- Strong plastic/glass that is resistant to scratches, hits and flying debris
- Water resistant to stop rain storms, power wash accidents, fogging and bubbles
- Configurable and removable bezels with sizes from 6 inches to 2.5 millimeters
- Mountable with VESA pattern screws or within a dynamic-sized enclosure
- Management features using HDMI CEC, RS-232, vendor tools and API
- Screens made of non-toxic and recyclable materials on the outside and inside
Having screens like this would allow us to innovate into the next decade. These improved outdoor kiosks would not only provide magical interactive experiences, but also provide an excellent return on investment.