“What are effective cost-reduction strategies that can be employed with digital signage to keep your capital investment and maintenance low?”
There are so many answers to this question. Here are my top five most impactful things to consider from my experience:
- Understand your own team’s capabilities, and consider keeping certain functions within your team. What roles can be performed in-house? Consider things like: Content Creation; Content Programming; Hardware Installation; Hardware and Software Monitoring. If you don’t have the capabilities in-house, then definitely consider using outsourced services, but in most cases, these will be more expensive.
- Consider lease options. Whether directly with the hardware/software provider or with third-party leasing companies, leasing can keep capital costs low, but it shifts cost to the ongoing expense side.
- Carefully evaluate display placement. Are you measuring the traffic for each display and getting the most out of each location? Rather than continually adding locations, consider moving the existing ones for more efficient use of existing assets.
- Perform proper RFPs and include providers with which you may not be immediately familiar. The member directory of the Digital Signage Federation (DSF) is a great resource to find providers by the service they offer. Proper coverage of the landscape when accepting bids is very important in finding providers with the right skills at the right price.
- Engage in a proof of concept. There is nothing worse than wasting money because of a bad decision. Make sure that the provider and the strategic objective are both able to meet the business goal, and that they are a good match for each other. Prove the concept with a short pilot.